Thursday, June 2, 2011

Hot Hot Hot

I am a early morning runner and the heat is not my friend. I tend to slow down during the first warm weeks of summer. Your body has to do double duty in the heat. It not only powers your body, but also has to move fluids to cool you. At least that is my theory.

One of my favorite heat beaters is a wet wrist band. I wet the band and carry it in my hand. It needs to be wet before you start. The water helps to dilute the sweat and it cools your head. It is like rubbing a cool rag across your brow.

I used it this AM (9:00 to 10:00 am) with the temperature in the mid to upper 80s. The only problem was the sunscreen I used was burning my eyes. I had a pretty good run (8.5 miles at a 7:30 pace). I hope to be acclimatized to the heat in a few weeks.

No comments: